In June-July in Samtskhe-Javakheti the Centre for Civil Integration and Inter-Ethnical Relations carried out the educational program for active citizenship in the framework of the project “School for Active Citizens”. Since May 2011 the project has been implementing by the New Generation - New Initiative in the partnership with the CCIIR and financial support of the Centre for development of election system, reforms and education”.
The project aims at an awareness raising of local population and especially young people on citizenship and active engagement, their formation as a active citizenship, enhancement of their engagement and support of their initiatives. Within 6 month the students the Akhaltsikhe State university who were selected through the competition, were grated the chance to participate in the training-seminars organized by the CCIIR and led by the trainers of the organization.
The program for active citizens encompassed the topics as followed:
1. Emphasis of civic education in countries of democratic transition;
2. Concept of active citizenship and its importance;
3. Role of central and local government for an engagement of the citizens in processes of governance;
4. Media and civil society;
5. Election and its importance;
6. What we should know about the political parties;
7. Low and legislation – constitution of the country as a foundation for development and democracy;
8. Effective communication and proper usage;
10. Leadership and teambuilding;
By the end of August the CCIIR plans to develop and publish the manual for active citizenship for the young people within the cooperative project.